Wednesday 28 November 2012

DJ Matman - The New Jack Swing Mix


In the summer of 2012 I was invited to dj at the Chocolate Bear Productions annual barbeque here in London, alongside a ridiculously sick line up of djs - we were all asked to choose a genre to play, I went for New Jack Swing, and it went a little something like this…

For those that don't know, the New Jack Swing sound of the late 80's and early 90's brought together Hip Hop and R & B for the first time, to great commercial success. I first encountered it as a 9 year old, when I had the Ghostbusters 2 soundtrack featuring Bobby Brown's 'On My Own' on heavy rotation in my oversized walkman! This mix includes a lot of the biggest dancefloor classics of the time alongside a few not so well-known joints, and of course plenty of Teddy Riley productions.

Big shout to Shernay & all the djs who rocked at the CBP BBQ - Druskillz, Kidkanevil, Mr Thing, Kutmah, Bruce Wayne, Chris P Cuts, Shredded Pete, Martyn & Leroy 

Please share / tweet / blog if you are feeling this! :)

Tracklist:

01. Wrecks 'N' Effect - New jack Swing
02. Keith Sweat - I Want Her
03. Bell Biv Devoe - B.B.D. (I Thought It Was Me)?
04. Heavy D - Somebody For Me
05. LL Cool J - Around The Way Girl (Untouchables Remix & Original Mix)
06. Chubb Rock - Lost In The Storm (Marley Marl R & B Remix)
07. MC Lyte - Ice Cream Dream
08. Christopher Williams - I'm Dreaming
09. Father MC ft. Christopher Williams, Jodeci, Heavy D, Mary J Blige & Tim Dawg - Next Stop Uptown
10. Ready For The World - Yo That's A Lot Of Body
11. Guy - Teddy's Jam 2
12. Guy - D.O.G. Me Out (Single Edit)
13. Guy - Groove Me
14. Big Daddy Kane - Groove With It
15. Boyz II Men - Motownphilly
16. Michael Jackson - Can't Let Her Get Away
17. Bobby Brown - Get Away
18. Bobby Brown - My Perogative
19. Teddy Riley ft. Tammy Lucas - Is It Good To You (Black Radio Mix)
20. Jeff Redd - I Found Lovin' (Club Version)
21. Johnny Gil - The Floor
22. Johnny Gil - Rub You The Right Way (Pete Rock Remix ft. CL Smooth)
23. Basic Black - She's Mine (ft. Pete Rock & CL Smooth)
24. Tony Toni Tone - Feels Good
25. Johnny Kemp - Just Got Paid
26. Janet Jackson - Alright (7" House Mix ft. Heavy D)
27. Jodeci - It's Alright
28. R. Kelly & The Public Announcement - She's Got The Vibe (12" Mix)
29. Redhead Kingpin & The FBI - Do The Right Thing
30. Guy - My Fantasy (12" Extended Version)
31. Bell Div Devoe - Poison
32. Wrecks-N-Effect - Rump Shaker (Radio Mix & Teddy 2 Mix)
33. Hi-Five ft. jay-Z - She's Playing Hard To Get (Clark Kent's SuperMix)
34. Rude Boys ft. Jay-Z - My Kinda Girl (Deep Hip Hop Mix)
35. Christopher Williams - Every Little Thing You Do (Clark Kent & DawgHouse Mixes)
36 TLC - Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg
37. Blackstreet  - U Blow My Mind (Craig Mack Basic 4)
38. SWV - I'm So Into You (Radio Remix)
39. Al B sure ft. Slick Rick - If I'm Not Your Lover (Rmx)
40. Bobby Brown - On Our Own
41. Tongue 'N' Cheek - Encore
42. Soul II Soul - Keep On Movin' (Teddy Riley Remix)

No comments: